Gainesville Boating Accident Lawyer
When boat operators are careless, they can cause catastrophic or fatal accidents. Unfortunately, Lake Lanier has one of the highest fatalities as a result of boating accidents in Georgia. If you suffered an injury or lost a loved one in a Gainesville or Lake Lanier boating accident, you could be entitled to hold the responsible party accountable. The Trial Team at Stewart Melvin & Frost, led by Mark Alexander and Andrew Gould, has over 30 years of experience helping victims like you, and know what it takes to hold folks accountable for their negligence.
Schedule Your Appointment With A Gainesville Boating Accident Lawyer Today
Common Types of Boat Accidents in Gainesville, Georgia
Because Gainesville is so popular with North Georgians and out-of-state tourists, Lake Lanier gets used by many kinds of watercraft. Boating accidents in Gainesville may involve water vessels such as:
- Jet skis
- Pontoon boats
- Speed boats
- Any other type of water vessel
One of the most common boat accidents in Gainesville involves a boat colliding with an object, person, or another boat. Since boats do not typically have seat belts and other safety devices like cars, people can be ejected or tossed from the boat in a collision. Unfortunately, when this happens, people are often thrown into the water while they are disoriented or unconscious, which could cause them to drown. Other common boating accidents include:
- Propeller accidents: Often occurring while wakeboarding, water skiing, tubing, or swimming, propeller accidents can cause life-altering or fatal injuries.
- Impaired operator accidents: Operating a boat while impaired by drugs or alcohol puts everyone onboard the vessel or in the boat’s vicinity at serious risk of injury or even death.
- Fall accidents: On larger watercraft, wet decks can cause passengers to slip and fall. Passengers could fall into the water on smaller vessels if the boat operator loses control or strikes another object.
- Distracted operator accidents: Any boat operator who is not fully paying attention to the task at hand may not be able to respond in time to avoid an accident.
- Accidents caused by poor maintenance: Boats require regular maintenance in order to ensure safe operation. Rust, engine failure, issues with the hull, and other mechanical problems could create serious safety risks out on the water.
- Lack of emergency equipment: When a boat lacks appropriate safety equipment, even a minor problem can quickly escalate to a disaster.
If you have been injured in a watercraft accident, an experienced boating accident lawyer can help determine whether someone is liable for your damages and what your next steps should be.
What Damages Could Injured Boating Accident Victims Recover in Gainesville, Georgia?
Suppose you or someone you care about was hurt in a boating accident because a boat operator was careless or negligent. In that case, The Trial Team at Stewart Melvin & Frost can help protect your rights and hold negligent parties accountable for their actions. Our highly specialized and experienced personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you are not obligated to pay us until you are compensated for your losses, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Past and future lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Change in lifestyle;
- Loss of companionship/consortium;
- Loss of personal enjoyment;
- Full value of the life; and
- Funeral costs.
In cases of extreme negligence, such as driving while under the influence, boating accident victims may be eligible to pursue a claim for punitive damages. They are meant to punish the liable party and set an example for others to be more cautious in the future. These are not awarded often, but an experienced lawyer will be able to determine whether this may apply in your case.
Boat Accident Lawyers in Gainesville and the Surrounding Northeast Georgia Area
When you are searching for a boating accident lawyer to represent your interests and get you and your family the settlement you deserve, ask yourself:
“Do I want a lawyer that is not responsive? Or do I want a lawyer that is always available and responsive. A lawyer that is going to speak with every witness, chase every lead, and turn over every rock to learn everything there is to know about my case to ensure they are maximizing the value and holding the folks who did this to me fully accountable?”
The Trial Team at Stewart Melvin & Frost does not require any compensation up front, collecting fees only once the case is settled. Our attorneys are experienced, well-respected, hard-working, responsive, and successful. You can count on us to conduct an exhaustive, rigorous investigation and gather the relevant evidence needed for your case.
“For us, it is about the Golden Rule,” says Andrew Gould, “We treat each client as we would want our family to be treated. It is why we are always responsive, professional and prepared.”